The debate is older than the West Virginia mountains – what goes in the pepperoni rolls: slices or sticks? This time we decided to stick with the sticks, baking these beloved snacks using our brand new vegan pepperoni.
1 hour 15 minutes
1 hour 35 minutes
- 3/2 cup warm plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup plant-based yoghurt or home made buttermilk*
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Flour for kneading
- 20 sticks plantcraft pepperoni, cut into 4 inch long and 1/4″ wide sticks
- 10 sticks of plant-based cheese, cut into 4 inch long and 1/4″ wide sticks
- Stir 1 tbsp vinegar in 1/2 cup plant milk and let it sit for 5 minutes until it curdles.
- To make the dough, first add a the white vinegar to the warm plant milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes to curdle (or skip this step if you are using vegan yoghurt). In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, the warm plant-based milk, the vegan butter, yeast and the buttermilk (or yoghurt).
- Add the flour and salt, then start combining the mixture using a wooden spoon, until all ingredients are well incorporated. Use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes until it becomes light, soft but still slightly sticky. Set it aside in a well oiled bowl, and allow it to rise in a warm place for about an hour or until the size doubles.
- Transfer your dough onto a floured surface, degas, then roll it into a log and divide it into 10 equal size blocks. Roll out each block into a rectangle and add two pieces of pepperoni and a cheese stick in the middle. Roll it up and pinch the ends of the dough to hold the filling inside.
- Place the rolls in a well greased baking dish about 1/2 inch apart. Cover, and allow them to rise for an additional half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 190 C/375 F. Brush the dough with plant-based milk and bake them for about 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy as a cold or warm snack, or take it with you while exploring the mountains. So good.